Friday, October 06, 2006

pants etc

The other day Jane mentioned that, among other things, the phrase "Put on your big boy/girl pants and deal with it." bugs her. It surely sounded like suck at the time, but having never heard it used in real time, it's actual suckiness eluded me. Seeing it written was enough to make me want to avoid it for the rest of my life because it's a phrase that has the potential to make anyone using it sound like that much of a dick, and I'm old enough now to just say no. In any case, I'm much more a fan of the direct approach, and we all know that this stupid 'big pants' deal is a quasi polite way of telling someone to grow the fuck up, which is a phrase I've had no problem using in the past, and while it's rarely worked for the apparently lobotomised nerk who has been the recipient of my instruction, after all these years, I still get a kick out of the word 'fuck'.

Which reminds me, when you (the universal) use the word "f*ck", God knows what you mean so you can bet your arse that you're just as likely to go to Hell for using it as I. Except I'm not going to hell because fuck that shit man. It only exists in your mind and my family reuinions. Fairyland, on the other hand, does exist, and I plan on retiring there in a few short years.

So anyway, I've since heard this "Big pants" thing used for serious and I know now that for me, it's the aural equivilant of touching the cheaper varieties of tissue paper, which is an aversion I picked up while I was pregnant and haven't been able to let go of. I can't touch the stuff. Ick. But anyway, I learned that the actual suck factor of the "Big Pants" phenomenom far exceeded the estimated.

The only good thing about it is that it reminds me of a phrase that I love: running around like a big girl's blouse. There's one for you. Use it, enjoy it, you're welcome.




2005-2007© aibee