Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I met with the counsellor again yesterday.

Refresher course: to fulfil the legal obligations associated with donor insemination, I need to see a counsellor at least two times. I've seen her twice now, so we're ready to rock and roll.

We went through several things, one being the paperwork for andrology to arrange the selection of donors for my perusal. Of their donor pool, there are eight who have agreed to allow single women to access their reproductive material. As an aside, the doctor solemnly referred to it as such a week or so ago. I was all 'dude, let's call a spade a spade....'.

I didn't want to choose the father of my child based on simple, literal things like eye colour, when what matters is who he is, not how he looks. I realised yesterday though, that all I need to discover is the unknowns like his physical characteristics. The things that matter to me, things like kindness and warmth and vision, are known already because they are what drives someone to be a part of this program. Those qualities must be inherent in every one of the donors. Please excuse my flower child moment, but in offering something so precious and so personal, to someone he's never met and to who he'll never know, every donor has already demonstrated his capacity to love unconditionally and universally.

How do you thank someone for that?

3 Comments:

The absolute truth is that your words are so very reassuring.

Thankyou.

By Blogger aibee, at 10:20 PM  

aibs?

I agree with Obsidian.

Your kid will be great, because you will love it.

And you'll play pretend walkie-talkies (which are actually attached to receivers in fake tiaras) while wearing a Spider Man ring that is too small, all whilst trying to make a post on your dear friend's blog.

Yanno why?

Love.

:)

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:37 AM  

*wiping tear from eye*

Thankyou too Angel

By Blogger aibee, at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





2005-2007© aibee